POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Spinner" space colony (2) : Re: "Spinner" space colony (2) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Spinner" space colony (2)
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Jun 2010 04:05:01
Message: <web.4c173309f3c715fa6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
SharkD <pos### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Can I use an object produced by this macro as a bounding object? Would
> it be better to use a mesh instead?

> Does bounding work on unions and
> merges as well as differences and intersections?

Difference and intersection benefit most from manual bounding, because in many
cases the auto bounding box can be orders of magnitude larger than the result of
the CSG operation. I once wrote a curved-brick macro that achieved something
like 10x speedup once I sorted the bounding out.

Meshes will be faster (non-csg meshes, at least), although presumably that would
mean more work for you... :-(