POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light Challenge : Re: Light Challenge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light Challenge
From: Reactor
Date: 14 Jun 2010 17:30:00
Message: <web.4c169efcad2ae75573b904fd0@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I've used POV for a long time, but I find lighting to be one of my biggest
> challenges in scene development.  I thought it might be interesting to get some
> examples from the community on creative ways to light a scene:
>
> Below is a primitive scene (no pun intended) with only a basic light source.
> With the restriction that you aren't allowed to change the camera or the objects
> (including their mundane textures), what creative lighting solutions can you
> come up with to make this image more interesting?

Hello,
  I do want to participate in this lighting challenge, but I have some concerns
about the finishes, specifically the ambient and diffuse values.  Both of these
affect the way an object behaves in response to light, and since the objects
have a non-zero ambient value, they will be treated as though they emit a small
amount of light when radiosity is used.  This prevents one from making realistic
shadows while radiosity is turned on.

I am going to leave the diffuse value unchanged, but I will be modifying the
ambient values.

-Reactor