POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn : Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ghurghusht: artifacts at dawn
From: Reactor
Date: 9 Jun 2010 19:00:01
Message: <web.4c101c17db118a4ae69105fc0@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> Meanwhile, I managed to add a random starry sky_sphere based on the
> object pattern to my Ghurghusht/DM +19 279 system project, with four
> brightness classes of stars appearing at different angles of the sun (i.
> e. DM +19 279, known also as Shams by the locals) below the horizon.
>
> But I'm still not content with the appearance of the sky just before
> sunrise/after sunset: instead of smooth brightness transitions, I get
> patchy, streaky structures (see images attached here). Also, bright
> spots show up on the hillsides long before the sun is close to the
> horizon. And I wonder what makes the water (gleaned from Christoph
> Hormann's pages) reflect a blue sky even when it should be as black as
> pitch...
>
> The "sun" positions are as follows (from first to last image):
> 79, 20, 16, 12, 8 and 4 degrees below the horizon
>
> See you on www.khyberspace.de!
>
> Yadgar
>
> Now playing: Twilight (Vangelis) - how matching!

You didn't post the relevant code, but the water (and the land) looks like it
has a non-zero ambient setting, which will make it show up instead of being
black.  Perhaps I can be more helpful if you post the code for the water.

The bright speckles on the hills look like radiosity artifacts (leakage).  The
banding looks like media settings (too few samples).

-Reactor