POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mk2 hand grenade : Re: Mk2 hand grenade Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mk2 hand grenade
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 17 May 2010 09:15:01
Message: <web.4bf1403137879747cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian <ski### [at] vtedu> wrote:
> Wow. I had to dig out a Mk2 w/ M228 training just to compare. The fuze
> assembly looks perfect. All the curves are spot on.
>
> The ridge around the neck doesn't look quite up to spec, it might cause
> the frag to go off in one direction more than another, what with the
> extra reenforcement. But if you add the right color markings, I don't
> think anyone will notice.

That's very kind of you to notice those details. I worked really hard on the
fuze and it's great to hear a compliment.

I did cheat on the body of the grenade. I wasn't able to maintain the vertical
indented portions around the neck because the bumpy part is a height_field and
therefore hollow and can't have anything differenced from it. My original plan
was to continue the height_field all the way up to where the cone-shaped top
starts in order to maintain the indents, but that didn't work out. But like
you're suggesting, it does look good with realistic texturing.

Regards,
Dave Blandston