POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mk2 hand grenade : Re: Mk2 hand grenade Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mk2 hand grenade
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 13 May 2010 10:15:00
Message: <web.4bec08a237879747cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Cool!  This looks VERY good. I was *hoping* you'd stick with the M2 grenade.
> :-) (BTW, I kept playing around with the code example I posted for ya, and
> couldn't get it to look as nice as what you've done.) I also like the slight
> curve where the 'conical' shape meets the 'pineapple' shape. Again, nicely done.
>
> I was wondering about the 'pin' (the ring) that needs to be pulled to activate
> the grenade...specifically the 'clevis pin' part that sticks out the other side
> (to hold the ring until it's pulled.) The two tangs, bent as they are at almost
> right angles, would seem to make it difficult to actually PULL the pin. Looks
> like the poor soldier would have to exert a *lot* of force to bend those, to get
> them to go through the hole. Or maybe I need to look at the reference photo you
> posted awhile back...
>
> Ken

Thank you for the compliments! I almost gave up on the pineapple shape but the
plain round grenade looked pretty boring in my scene. The Mk2 is much more
interesting.

I've pulled the pins on a few training grenades (one every year, to be exact...)
and yes they do require some effort, but not excessive. According to the
Wikipedia entry, the rings had a tendency to catch on brush in Vietnam and cause
unintentional explosions.

Thanks again for helping me with the bumps. I'd be happy to post the final code
if you're interested.

Regards,
Dave Blandston