POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Suggestions needed : Re: Suggestions needed Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions needed
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 28 Apr 2010 05:35:00
Message: <web.4bd800a15bb1be65cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> The only drawback I see is that the pineapple chunks will have sharp edges all
> around their outside surfaces. Not good. The soldier would have to handle the
> grenade with gloves!
>
> Ken

This one design problem is what's driving me nuts. If it weren't for all those
rounded edges this would so much simpler.

The body of the grenade is in fact cast iron. I bought an inert grenade to make
measurements from and the top part is a cone. The bumps on each row aren't all
the same width and don't all have the same slope on the sides, but for
simplicity I'm not trying to duplicate those anomalies.

Your pigment idea may still work. I made a height field with rounded-edged bumps
recently (for the same scene the grenade is intended for, in fact). The method I
used was to make a color_map with several entries, going from black to white in
steps determined by the function

#local CurrentColorEntry = color White * pow (sin (radians (Theta)), .5);

where Theta goes from 0 to 90 then from 90 back to 0. Obviously, this is not the
easiest or best way to make such a simple shape, but it was a learning exercise.
The attached image shows the result. I think this method can be combined with
your code to produce the rounded grenade bumps.

Another alternative is to use the M26 grenade for my scene. It uses the same
fuse I've already modelled. The body is extremely simple. I'm not ready to give
up yet on the Mk2 grenade though, because it's much more interesting looking
than the M26.

I've never made an isosurface and really need to learn to use them. This may be
a tough project for a first attempt though...

Thanks again!

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message