POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Suggestions needed : Re: Suggestions needed Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions needed
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Apr 2010 04:30:01
Message: <web.4bd7f1115bb1be65ae92d9930@news.povray.org>
"Dave Blandston" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> ...Here's a photo of a grenade similar to the one I'm modelling:

The closer I look at this photo, the more details I see. I was wrong about a
torus being used to difference away the top part of the grenade; it has a
cone-like shape instead. (So differencing an inverse cone might work.)

In fact, even the indents don't look like they have rounded bottoms; more like
45-deg. sharp cornered wedge-shaped crevices. The entire grenade looks to have
been *cast* from iron, rather than machined into shape. Probably using a sand
mold, which would round off all the sharp corners.

Hmm, not as simple as I thought.  Seems to me that some fancy isosurface coding
may be required (and to get the overall sandy/bumpy look.)

Ken