POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP : Re: IRTC WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 13 Apr 2010 05:00:01
Message: <web.4bc4312afef3d347cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Completely off-topic: Your .png image is showing up with different gamma
> 'values' depending if I look at it's 'preview' image here in the newsgroups vs.
> clicking on the image link, to bring it up as a stand-alone image. (I'm using
> the latest version of Firefox as my web browser, in both cases.) The preview has
> much darker shadows, and more contrast overall. Anyway, I've never seen this
> behavior here in the newsgroups before. Kind of a mystery! I can't tell which is
> the 'correct' image. Makes me wonder if the newsgroup 'software' is altering the
> gamma values of .png images when displaying a preview. OR, whether Firefox
> itself has a gamma flaw.
>
> Odd!
>
> Ken

It's probably something I'm doing wrong - I get an error message about gamma
settings every time I render a scene. One of these days I'll have to figure out
the new settings... I've also noticed that sometimes when I select a POV-Ray
v3.7 generated .png image as a desktop wallpaper for Windows XP the little
preview shows a really washed-out looking image, but then the actual desktop
image looks right.

Regards,
Dave Blandston