POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC WIP : Re: IRTC WIP Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC WIP
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 12 Apr 2010 20:25:01
Message: <web.4bc3b90cfef3d347cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> BTW, I know this sounds like a newbie question but: has anyone got a nice
> way to round or bevel the edges on those letters?

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but it does round the edges
of text. It would make a smoothly rounded edge if an infinite number of objects
were used. It can be adapted to make concave or other curved edges. It distorts
the outline of the letters, it's incredibly inefficient and can't realistically
make smoothly rounded edges. But I'm sharing it because maybe someone will have
an idea of how to improve it. I think that to do this right would require adding
support for rounding the edges of fonts to the POV-Ray code itself which is far
beyond my ability.

This "X" consists of 361 copies of the "X" object and took almost two hours to
render using version 3.7 with four microprocessors and radiosity recursion_limit
1. Each "layer" of the object is colored differently for demonstration purposes.

The source is posted in the text scene files group.

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: