POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky? : Re: Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media atmosphere for planet - why green sky?
From: Reactor
Date: 29 Mar 2010 20:10:01
Message: <web.4bb140acddd6d627ae89a7fb0@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> This weekend, I added a media atmosphere around my planet Ghurghusht...
> after some tinkering, I found out that generally, it works using
> scattering media only. But I wonder why the sky has such a strange color
> close to the horizon... and as I took a shot at the zenith, it turned
> out darker and duller than expected!
>
> Here is the definition of the atmosphere:

If you want really tight control over the way the colors appear, you can alter
the ratio between scattering and absorption by reducing the extinction and
including an absorption component to compensate.  Something like:

media{
  #local Thickness = 1/80;
    absorption color rgb <1.0, 0.8, 0.8> * Thickness
    scattering {
     1, color rgb <1, 1, 1> * Thickness
     extinction 0.5
    }
}

This scatters all colors equally, but absorbs more red.  You can try several
variations until you find one that produces the colors you desire.  I would also
increase the amount of samples to higher than the default.

    HTH
  -Reactor