POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : M13 Machine Gun Bullet Links : Re: M13 Machine Gun Bullet Links Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: M13 Machine Gun Bullet Links
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 24 Mar 2010 22:50:01
Message: <web.4baace41260243a3cba3fb0f0@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> If you use blured reflection, there will be interreflection between
> objects that both have blured reflection. It will greatly increase the
> rendering time.
> If you have a 50 samples blured reflection, after 2 surfaces, you'll
> have 2500 rays, 125000 after 3 surfaces, 31250000 after 4,.... Some
> pixels can take for ever and tomorow to render.
>
> What you can do:
> Have the objects with blured reflection in two instances.
> The first one have the blured reflection and the no_reflection flag.
> The second will only have normal reflection and the no_image flag.
>
> That way, the object that you see directly will have blured reflection,
> but the one that you see in (blured) reflection will have normal
> reflection preventing the exponential increase in the number of rays.
>

> Alain

Thank you so much! That's a very smart idea. With radiosity and anti-aliasing,
the complete image already takes several days to render at full resolution, and
I haven't even added the bullets yet.

I've never used blurred reflection before so I'll try the method described in
the POV-Wiki Knowledgebase:Language Questions and Tips Topic 13. Those casings
definitely need blurred reflection.

Regards,
Dave Blandston