POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : howto question : howto question Server Time
16 Apr 2024 19:35:39 EDT (-0400)
  howto question
From: danny280279
Date: 14 Feb 2010 09:50:00
Message: <web.4b780c68285de5c0ace6c7fc0@news.povray.org>
Basically I just want to ask a simple question.  I just want to know how to
implement the core povray renderer as a rendering backend in a graphics engine.

Allow me to explain.  The Graphics Engine I have is a customised version of the
MGL.  To this I have added the AGG 2D rasterizer, OMX support for multimedia
through GStreamer, and Bellagio.  SVG parsing, through both AGG and libsvg.
Network transparancy support through UDPCast, libnetlink, and DBus.  I basically
intended for it to be able to do the same job as an XServer, but a little
differently.  And I have implemented a free EGLES/OpenGL, library that s
Hardware Accelerated, that I got from the ps2dev site.  But the engine still
doesn't produce the kind of grahics that I want.

I really want the graphical abilities that I saw on the "Hall of Fame" page,
i.e. photorealistic, and ray-tracing for games and such.  I would like to know
if I can do this with PovRay.

i.e. Are there certain parts of the source that are absolutely required, and if
so which parts?  Would doing this stop users from being able to create their own
scenes, art, games using this library?  Would it be capable of rendering
Multimedia, say over UPnP, IP, a network, on an embedded device, on a PC?  If
not, then how would I go about making sure that as a backend renderer it was
capable of doing all of this?  And!  As a backend renderer, would I still need
to provide the frontend into the library?  What about Graphics Drivers, I saw
that the library didn't implement them but instead relied on the platform it
found itself on, does this mean that I can't actually use it as a hardware
accelerated library, that the other components of my engine use for rendering?
Would I have to provide the drivers and the hardware interface if I'm to
implement this library as a backend renderer, in order to provide graphics for
use in applications, games and multimedia?