POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: nemesis
Date: 13 Feb 2010 00:45:06
Message: <web.4b763ae3e85a51aaf7a3784e0@news.povray.org>
damn!

> nemesis schrieb:
> > I'm mostly amused by the noise in that image.  I thought radiosity was mostly
> > patchy...
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about; as for the clothes, they use a
> very small-patterned texture; and the walls uses small-scaled bumps.

look like noise in the dark anyway...

>  > It
> > doesn't simulate light, only radiation from surfaces and we not always want that
> > radiation.
>
> ... I don't know whether you understand how POV-Ray's radiosity works.
> It does /not/ assume that /all/ surfaces emit light - it doesn't even
> focus on /emitted/ light;

I know, I'm talking about the ambient term which is used to distinguish what is
"emitting" and what is not.

> The problem here is that depending on geometry it may fail to recognize
> that a certain sample point is absolutely unfit to serve as a reference
> to interpolate from.

Indeed.

> MCPov does provide means to "hint" a scene, so that the tracing
> algorithm will favor rays pointing at particular objects or regions in
> 3D space (weighting them to compensate of course), so that those regions
> are scanned at a higher "resolution" than others.

yes, but even with portals it's still far from being able to handle complex
light paths in a timely fashion.  And toying around with portals can be as
tiresome as toying around with fill lights and GI settings...

> > http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/24/mlt4h970sps.jpg
>
> Note that the geometry of your scene lacks one particularly difficult
> feature of mine: The door is closed so much that light cannot travel
> directly from one room to the other, but must do at least one bounce
> between door and frame.

damn! Just let it cooking for a full 12 hours (about 3000 samples/pixel) and
*now* you tell me this! :P

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8139/mlt12h.jpg

also reworked the tone mapping settings a bit for more clarity.  And there's the
color aberration postpro.

It was just very slightly open, see:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8780/mltwire.jpg

tomorrow I guess I'll close the damn door... :P