POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: Reactor
Date: 12 Feb 2010 12:55:00
Message: <web.4b7595d4e85a51aaf226a7060@news.povray.org>
> Hum... now this one looks promising so far. First thing to notice is
> that it's somewhat darker than the previous shots (thank God I chose
> OpenEXR output!), and has a noticeable brightness "imbalance" towards
> the left side; so far, the only hint of light "seeping" through is below
> the door, which is perfectly ok.
>
> Oh boy, these settings really kill render time (1 day 6 hours already):
>
>        pretrace_start 0.064
>        pretrace_end   0.001
>        count 1600
>        nearest_count 20
>        error_bound 0.3
>        recursion_limit 4
>        low_error_factor 0.5
>        gray_threshold 0
>        minimum_reuse 1.0e-4
>        maximum_reuse 1.0e-3
>        brightness 1.0
>        always_sample off
>        adc_bailout 0.001
>        normal on
>
> It also eats memory like hell, using as much as 4 GB by now (with only
> 200 MB being due to geometry and texture images). I guess I should try
> reducing nearest_count, or I might wind up in Swapping Hell.
>
> (As a side note, I'm using a patch that changes maximum_reuse handling,
> which hasn't been included in any beta yet.)

Goodness, that's after 1 day??  If I were you, I would reduce the count and
error bound, and increase the pretrace start.  I'd try something more like:

    pretrace_start 0.100
    pretrace_end   0.001
    count 400
    nearest_count 15
    error_bound 0.125
    recursion_limit 4
    low_error_factor 0.5
    gray_threshold 0
    minimum_reuse 1.0e-4
    maximum_reuse 1.0e-3
    brightness 1.0
    always_sample on
    adc_bailout 0.001
    normal on

Also, I noticed what you said about MCPov and making it from a 3.7 base.  A long
time ago, I had the half baked idea that the radiosity block could be enclosed
in a global_illumination block within the global settings, and you'd have the
option of using radiosity or other algorithms.

GLOBAL_ILLUMINATION:
    global_illumination { GLOBAL_ILLUMINATION_ITEMS }
GLOBAL_ILLUMINATION_ITEMS:
    RADIOSITY | AMBIENT_OCCULSION | MONTECARLO

 RADIOSITY
     radiosity{ [RADIOSITY_ITEMS] }

 AMBIENT_OCCULSION
     ambient_occulsion{ [AMBIENT_OCCULSION_ITEMS] }

 MONTECARLO
     montecarlo{ [MONTECARLO_ITEMS] }

This, of course, is down the line, perhaps for version 4.0, but I liked the idea
of people creating various lighting methods that would follow more or less a
plugin style architecture, and you could select whichever one you needed.

Anyway, that's just one of many half-baked ideas I've had.

-Reactor