POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: Reactor
Date: 11 Feb 2010 11:40:00
Message: <web.4b7431eee85a51aa230a8faa0@news.povray.org>
> Reactor schrieb:
>
> > I remember that scene when someone was trying to figure out how to make it work
> > (i.e. complete before their great-great-grandchildren are born) in MCPov.
>
> That was me I guess :-)
>
>  > I did
> > get it working, but it wasn't the whole scene, just the doors and walls.  The
> > answer had to do portals and making sure that the container sphere wasn't too
> > large.  After that, it started to converge reasonably quickly (instead of the
> > wait 20 minutes, see single bright pixel appear, wait 20 more, see it
> > disappear).
>
> Yes, I recall someone giving it a try also (the scene didn't feature the
> child back then) - but IIRC that person "cheated" by having the door
> open much wider...

I never posted the results for that - the scene was really my first introduction
to MCPov and I got it working much later without changing the scene as posted,
albeit before my rebuild.  I do not have the scene anymore, but I have trouble
running MCPov on this machine anyway.

> I'm also using a POV-Ray 3.7 beta feature for the child's clothing
> (diffuse backside illumination), so MCPov is no longer an option anyway.

If you don't mind posting it, I am curious as to how your radiosity block looks.

>  > Anyway, isn't that bleed through more of an error bound and reuse
> > of samples issue as opposed to depth?
>
> If I had the slightest idea what kind of error it is, I'd be a good deal
> happier :-)

I hope the walls are of realistic thickness, and not a single flat polygon!

-Reactor