POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Mysteries of Radiosity : Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Mysteries of Radiosity
From: Reactor
Date: 10 Feb 2010 22:40:01
Message: <web.4b737afbe85a51aa55bbcd150@news.povray.org>
> Radiosity still bears its mysteries, even to me - must be some magic in
> there...
>
> *This* is what I'd call a lighting challenge... quite pathological case,
> I must confess: The door is almost closed, leaving no direct path of
> light to the adjacent room whatsoever. Unfortunately, the high radiosity
> recursion depth makes the light not only "seep" through the gap, but
> also through the walls.
>
> Well, I thought I'd share it anyway. It's a lot better already than
> earlier experiments with the setting.
>
> Render time: Days. Something around 48 hours I guess.

I remember that scene when someone was trying to figure out how to make it work
(i.e. complete before their great-great-grandchildren are born) in MCPov.  I did
get it working, but it wasn't the whole scene, just the doors and walls.  The
answer had to do portals and making sure that the container sphere wasn't too
large.  After that, it started to converge reasonably quickly (instead of the
wait 20 minutes, see single bright pixel appear, wait 20 more, see it
disappear).    Anyway, isn't that bleed through more of an error bound and reuse
of samples issue as opposed to depth?

-Reactor