POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3dRender.com Lighting Challenge : Re: 3dRender.com Lighting Challenge Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dRender.com Lighting Challenge
From: Edouard
Date: 23 Dec 2009 14:40:01
Message: <web.4b3271fd72f877b474b2cef50@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>    So, I used Poseray to convert the OBJ format offered into POV SDL. The
> scene is really nice, and very detailed, but unfortunately the author was a
> bit lazy with the object naming. The solution, to avoid excesive trial &
> error, was to use Wings3D just to identify the object names (I didn't touch
> anything within Wings3D).

Fantastic job on the conversion - is there any chance of making your version of
the scene available?

>    Because the main challenge is the lighting, I didn't even bother to uvmap
> the objects that don't have uvmaps, and most materials are not final
> still... I wanted to focus on the lighting, which I think I finally solved
> with a variation the classic arealight-on-the-window trick. I'm not
> satisfied with the overexposing of the windows and blinds, but in general
> the trick seems to work well with just 1 rad bounce.
>
>    As a bonus, I added postprocessed media. Using a third pass with black
> objects and without area lights, I got a "media mask" wich I applied as an
> overlapping layer on The Gimp.

Wow - it looks really good. The lighting seems extremely natural, and nicely
evocative of the morning light streaming through the window.

>    Known problems not work commenting:
>
>    + Chromed metals look waaaay too fake (although it will be realistic for
> those fake-chrome plastics on toys).

Yeah - are you using focal blur instead of AA?

>    Suggestions and criticism welcome, as usual...

Only that the scene could have more contrast - it seems almost too flat given it
is lit by the morning sun. The area light/sky sphere seems to be much brighter
than I would expect (if I'm reading your lighting rig right).

Cheers,
Edouard.