POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling On : Re: Rolling On Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling On
From: Crayons
Date: 23 Dec 2009 13:55:01
Message: <web.4b32665cc347c41c3d5a19840@news.povray.org>
> More structural members added.

I love the detail you've been creating here and I know (in some small way) the
temptations for detail that a steam loco can lead one on to! Do you have any
updates for us to enjoy?
I'm not a steam buff but for a project I and some friends are working on I
"modelled" a couple of steam locos and some rolling stock over the last year.
One of the main difficulties I found was that drawings are scarce and I had to
work from photos a lot. What this meant was that I didn't have the data to model
much of the substructure and chassis elements - and to be honest, I wasn't that
tempted to try!! You seem to have better drawings?? What loco is it?
I say "modelled" in quotes as my coding style is a tad shambolic and I tend
towards a sort of "lego" approach to things but at the start of this thread you
mentioned difficulties with complex cast iron items and I sort of glossed over
those by approximating with round boxes and so on. The worst part being the
slidey thing behind the main piston.
I was also be interested in your approach to the chimney and steam valve covers
- you used blobs there? I'm afraid I went traitorous and used jpatch for a mesh
object I (sort of) manipulated to fit. I also used jpatch for the firebox main
object.
Anyway - for your amusement I attach one of the loco renders.
--
Crayons

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: