POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Support of NURBS-Surfaces : Re: Support of NURBS-Surfaces Server Time
27 Apr 2024 12:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Support of NURBS-Surfaces
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 16 Dec 2009 08:30:01
Message: <web.4b28df621a8c63097ccd22920@news.povray.org>
"H. Karsten" <h-karsten()web.de> wrote:
> Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > It's easy enough to write a macro to handle streams of patches for you,
> > if you already have the data. The last time I wrote one, I think I
> > finished it in under an hour.
> >
> > The problem, of course, is getting the data in the first place.
> > Creating NURBS via text editors is not easy.
> >
> > ...Chambers
>
> Then, it shouldn't be a problem to compile such a feature into PovRay.
>
> I don't know, how to write such a Macro, but rendering a NURBS-surface in
> PovRay, without any problems for the user would still be a cool thing.

I once made a lot of NURBS macros for POV-Ray.

Here's an image made with some of them:
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray/NURBS-Bivariate_Mesh.jpg

Some more of my NURBS images can be found here:
http://home.online.no/~t-o-k/POV-Ray_Images/

I guess that the average user would find that using using NURBS (and get full
control over them) is somewhat difficult, especially with a textual user
interface.

I.e.: They would have to learn about about different types of knot vectors and
about the effects of changing the weights for the control points.

With at text interface it may also be a lot of work to get the control points in
the control mesh positioned so that the NURBS surface gets the desired shape.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com