POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip]
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 8 Dec 2009 14:10:01
Message: <web.4b1ea446338ab975d670fe1e0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Winter is coming, so...
>
> I used a couple of World Machine height_fields as basis for a function, with
> an appropriate slope/altitude map.
>
> The title refers to the novel Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock. The scene may
> turn out as a kind of illustration to this novel.
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Thomas

It's looking good, Thomas! It reminds me of the mountains we have around here,
but ours are grey with many round stones, and little more rounded at the peaks.
The high country. Beautiful, yet treacherous.

Are you using the free version of World Machine which has a 512x512 height field
resolution limit? If so, I know of a way to get even higher resolution maps into
POV, but WM is not involved. You can use the free version of Terragen to make
your HF, import it into TerraBrush, and then export the HF to a 16-bit bitmap
format. Terragen's erosion functions are terribly slow, but it's the best work
flow I could find for Windows.

Just thought I would share that since I spent a long time searching for a
solution, and the info is useful :)

Sam