POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Probably I'm just in fact too stupid... : Re: Probably I'm just in fact too stupid... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Probably I'm just in fact too stupid...
From: Reactor
Date: 26 Nov 2009 20:30:01
Message: <web.4b0f2aae9422158050814e370@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> Now as I got at least the planet's shadow on the unlit side of the rings
>   correctly, I wonder how I could have different degrees of transparency
> within the rings - like it is with the real Saturn. I tried adding a
> second density, now with a density_map instead of a color_map - but the
> only thing I observed were different colors, while the transparency
> remained uniform across all ring bands.
>
> What is the difference between a color_map and a density_map within a
> density statement?
>
> Could I achieve different transparencies by adding an absorption media
> with its own density_map? What values of that density map would affect
> transparency?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

The second density is very different from a second media - Read the
documentation section on multiple density V.S multiple media.

A density_map is comparable to a pigment_map - it allows density entries within
the map.

The level of transparency is more or less a combination between the distance
from black of the color vector and also the initial color vector for the media
type statement.

example:
emission color rgb <1,1,1>
density{ color rgb 0.01 }