POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Why you may want gamma-correction : Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is gamma-correction applied in povray, anyway?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Nov 2009 17:45:01
Message: <web.4af354fa6aedb0e878641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> All monitors (all consumer ones at least) apply a gamma function to the
> incoming data before displaying it.  This is fixed, you cannot change this,
> it's just how they work (this was how CRTs worked, LCDs just copied them so
> everything looks the same as before).
>
> This is the whole point of why you *must* "gamma correct" data before
> sending it to the monitor (that just means applying the inverse of the
> monitor gamma function, so it cancels out).
>
> So, no, you don't need to "gamma correct" your monitor - that makes no sense
> at all.

I have this gamma control dialog box on my system.  I don't know whether it
applies gamma correction to the output signal, or controls the LCD itself,
though I suspect the former.

I've never seen one of these on a CRT based system, but that might well be an
artifact of history.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gamma_control.png' (206 KB)