POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : D200 Photons : Re: D200 Photons Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: D200 Photons
From: Graham
Date: 1 Nov 2009 02:30:00
Message: <web.4aed38a4ad078f6b5e444af40@news.povray.org>
> Looks nice. Did you test without engraved numbers for comparison?
No, though I have done some since, but only as an exercise. The numbers
are the point of the original object. That said, the quality of the
reflections (and having read somewhere that disco-mirrorballs were
problematic in POVRay), I thought I'd enquire.

> Actually that was one of the first things I tried with povray
> when I discovered it about 3 years ago (see attachment, please
> ignore the horribly disfigured blob humanoids).
I will ignore them, except to say that this is a far better outcome
than I had with any of my first few povray pictures. Well done.

> But my mirror ball wasn't very sophisticated:
>    sphere {0, 0.2 texture{T_Chrome_1E} normal {facets size 0.15}}
> ;)
What you call not very sophisticated, I call elegant simplicity.
You don't want to know how many lines of looping code it took to
construct the basic shape, but I was looking to ensure opposite
faces were parallel and similar (amongst other things). This is
an example of my faceted shape:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.animations/attachment/%3Cweb.4aecbfbe666e6f685e444af40%40news.povray.org%3E/hr48
0x360.gif