POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego Mini Off-roader 6742 - suggestions : Re: Lego Mini Off-roader 6742 - suggestions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego Mini Off-roader 6742 - suggestions
From: SafePit
Date: 28 Oct 2009 21:50:01
Message: <web.4ae8f409d02b0c859583cc90@news.povray.org>
Reuben Pearse <reu### [at] pearsecouk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been experimenting with rendering Lego models.

Nice model.

> Using a combination of MLCAD, Dat2dxf, PoseRay and POV-Ray 3.6 I've
> managed to render this scene (this is just using the PoseRay default
> radiosity settings)

I haven't tried MLCAD, looks but the models I've seen with it look pretty good.

> I would appreciate some help in getting the texture/light settings right
> to simulate realistic looking Lego plastic!

LUGNET has a color reference for POV-Ray, you might give it a try:

http://guide.lugnet.com/color/

I personally didn't like some of their colors and tend to use the "official"
colors here:

http://www.isodomos.com/ColorTree/LegoList#Lego43Info

I'd recommend starting with LUGNET's and tweaking until you are happy.

You may also find this article of interest as it uses MLCAD and has some
examples of how to make the bricks look more realistic:

http://lego.velociworks.com/2006/09/improved-lighting-and-using-radiosity.html

It has some include files for the colors that may be what you're looking for.

Steven
http://lego.reids4fun.com