POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Portable POV? : Re: Portable POV? Server Time
4 May 2024 11:31:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portable POV?
From: Charles C
Date: 22 Oct 2009 02:35:00
Message: <web.4adffbae9ec4d448cac4259f0@news.povray.org>
"pdjones2112" <pau### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> First, it has been about three or four years since dabbling with POV. Life has a
> way of getting busy! Anyway, I am trying to get back to rendering things and was
> wondering if there is a standalone, portable version of POV that I could put on
> a flash drive. I tend to bounce between computers at home and cannot install POV
> al each of them (though I can run *.exe files...).
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul

It sounds like you're talking about POV-Win.  I think you can do this currently,
almost, or awkwardly at least.  What version of POV-Ray do you want to use?

I tried this:  If you copy the directory structure of an installed copy of v3.62
to a flash drive, and then run the executable on a different machine, it will
run.   However, first it will complain about the registry, the availability of
include files and it will create a POV-Ray directory in My Documents. (Earlier
versions like 3.61 shouldn't create that directory.) If you store a copy of the
files that are supposed to be in the My Documents\POV-Ray directory on your
flash drive, and copy them over(and either remove them or leave them when you're
done)*, you now have a not-exactly-hassle-free portable POV-Ray.  I tried this
up to the point before making sure all the library paths were correct in
povray.ini.

*I wouldn't put your scenes in this directory.

Charles