POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7 : Re: Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7 Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:52:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7
From: wisemaj
Date: 1 Oct 2009 11:25:00
Message: <web.4ac4c8f732ac9548f4e517480@news.povray.org>
"wisemaj" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I have a new HP computer with an Intel I7 Quad-Core 2.66GHz processor running
> Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
>
> I successfully installed POV-Ray 3.6, then ran the benchmark twice, producing
> times of 6:46 and 6:45.
>
> I then successfully installed 3.7 beta, which supports the multiple processors,
> and re-ran the benchmark twice, producing times of 7:52 and 7:49.
>
> I noticed that the initial phase, with the incrementing photon count, took much
> longer under 3.7, approximately 6:15, and the photon count bounced up and down
> quite a bit: up to 2000, back to 1000, up to 4000, back to 2000, etc.  Once the
> actual rendering began it went very quickly, with the Windows Task Manager
> monitor showing all of the CPUs pegged.  However, the first phase took so much
> longer that the total time was longer by a little over a minute under 3.7.
>
> Is this to be expected?

**** I will withdraw this question!!  ****

Sorry, newbie error.  I wasnt' aware of the Run Benchmark option under the
Render menu, and was simply loading and running the Benchmark file from 3.6 in
both cases.  Once I discovered that, and used "Run Benchmark", I got the
following results:

One CPU:   671.38 PPS (662.46 PPS CPU Time) 6:30 Clock Time
All CPUs: 3370.80 PPS (440.70 PPS CPU Time) 1:17 Clock Time

Now that's a beautiful thing!   Thanks.