POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7 : Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7 Server Time
27 Apr 2024 11:51:43 EDT (-0400)
  Vista 64-bit performance: POV-Ray 3.6 vs 3.7
From: wisemaj
Date: 30 Sep 2009 23:30:01
Message: <web.4ac4218c441fca01f4e517480@news.povray.org>
I have a new HP computer with an Intel I7 Quad-Core 2.66GHz processor running
Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I successfully installed POV-Ray 3.6, then ran the benchmark twice, producing
times of 6:46 and 6:45.

I then successfully installed 3.7 beta, which supports the multiple processors,
and re-ran the benchmark twice, producing times of 7:52 and 7:49.

I noticed that the initial phase, with the incrementing photon count, took much
longer under 3.7, approximately 6:15, and the photon count bounced up and down
quite a bit: up to 2000, back to 1000, up to 4000, back to 2000, etc.  Once the
actual rendering began it went very quickly, with the Windows Task Manager
monitor showing all of the CPUs pegged.  However, the first phase took so much
longer that the total time was longer by a little over a minute under 3.7.

Is this to be expected?