POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My longest render but I'm unhappy : Re: My longest render but I'm unhappy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My longest render but I'm unhappy
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 11 Sep 2009 10:50:01
Message: <web.4aaa62a0489ef02881c811d20@news.povray.org>
I ran the file (without rad or photons) and noted a couple more items:

The light_source:
 light_source{<0,2,2> color rgb <1, 1, 1>}
is located inside the water and causes problems with the light_fading.  Raise it
up out above the water level.  Then increase your fade_distance in the water.  I
got the following to work nicely (other than the water may be too blue, needs
more greeniness):

#declare t_water = texture {
    pigment{rgbt 1}
    normal {
        ripples 0.25   // 0.75
        frequency 0.1
        translate <-10,0,10>
    }
    finish {
 diffuse 0.0
 ambient 0.0
        reflection {0, 1 fresnel}
        conserve_energy
    }
}

#declare i_water =interior {
    ior 1.33
    fade_distance 3
    fade_power 1000
    fade_color rgb <0.217,0.552,0.877>
}

#declare m_acqua =material {
    texture {t_water}
    interior {i_water}
}

You are also using an isosurface for your water.  While this works and gives a
nice smooth ripply surface, isosurfaces are real time killers.  The water
surface can be acheived just as well with a heightfield which will speed it up
considerably.  I tweaked and the following is somewhat equivalent to your
isosurface:
Note that isosurfaces take their function from the X-Y plane, but are created on
the X-Z plane hence the swapping of Z and Y in the function
Also note that heightfields are created 1x1x1 so the function got scaled down by
adding the *35 and then the heightfield gets scaled up after.
The 600,600 is the resolution of the heightfield and can be increased/decreased
to change quality and speed:

#local FWATER = function{1-(1-sin(x*35*2*pi))*0.01-f_noise3d(x*35,y*35,0)*0.1}

#declare water=
intersection{
  height_field{function 600,600 {pattern{function{FWATER(x,y,z)}}} smooth}
  box{0 1}
  hollow
  scale <35,4,35>
  translate <-10,-3,-10>
}

I may have a few more suggestions to come yet.

-tgq