POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My longest render but I'm unhappy : Re: My longest render but I'm unhappy Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My longest render but I'm unhappy
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 11 Sep 2009 09:40:00
Message: <web.4aaa52f5489ef02881c811d20@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini <p.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hallo!
> The render of the image I had to propose for IRTC testing session is
> ended yesterday (I have posted a version without water).
> My home hardware is a little obsolete and after a month render was at
> 30%, so I've asked help to a friend with a more efficient machine, which
> completed the work in less than two weeks (ok, I need to upgrade my
> hardware).
> I'm not happy of the final image because it is shady and the golden
> pieces composing the IRTC word doesn't shines as in my intention.
> Sources in p.b.i.
> Have a nice day,
> ;-)
> Paolo

I haven't tried to run the scene yet, but some thoughts from reading the file:

When doing water, I prefer to let the water interior do all the work:

rgbt 1.0 (completely clear)
diffuse 0.0 (if it's clear it won't do anything anyways)
use only fresnel reflection at full: reflection{0 1 fresnel on} with ior set to
1.33 (for water)

for the water colour and light fading you can use either

light fading read docs for full usage:
fade_distance (play with value that works)
fade_power (I prefer to use 1000 which kicks in the exponential function)
fade_colour (use this to control the colour of the water)

or you can use media which will give better results, but be slower.
Use absorption media with or without scattering

Here is the water I use for my BathTubs:
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.494744dd800e72a4c67b294d0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=30059
8&toff=50&mtop=294124)

#declare WCol=rgb <0.51373, 0.70588, 0.70588>;// Water colour, based on coastal
water
#local FD=-25/ln(0.58);  //Fade distance, alter the first number for the
distance, the odd ln(0.58) is from experimenting to emulate exponential as best
as I can.

#declare MWater=
  material{
    texture{
      pigment{rgbt 1}
      finish{conserve_energy  diffuse 0.0  ambient 0  reflection{0 1 fresnel on
metallic 0}}
    }
    interior{
      ior 1.33