POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version : Re: DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version
From: Edouard
Date: 9 Sep 2009 03:50:00
Message: <web.4aa75cfb64c796f0c83e2c410@news.povray.org>
> Edouard schrieb:
> >
> > Umm, there also seem to be some rendering artefacts that I think are to do with
> > turning normals on in radiosity under the latest 3.7 beta.
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> What I do see are two horizontal lines which are quite definitely
> radiosity artifacts indeed, but those are not particularly related to
> turning on normals. They are a general result of samples being taken
> during the final render, which are just more prone to appear when
> normals are turned on, for the simple reason that it requires a higher
> sample density.

Ahh, I didn't know that - I hadn't seen that kind of artefact before.

My settings were:

        radiosity {
   pretrace_start 0.08
   pretrace_end 0.005
   count 20 * radiosity_quality
   nearest_count 5
   error_bound 1
   recursion_limit 2
   low_error_factor 0.5
   gray_threshold 0.0
   minimum_reuse 0.015
   brightness 1
   adc_bailout 0.01/2
         }

where radiosity_quality was 2.

always_sample off seemed to fix it, but I have to admit that I still find the
exact behaviour of many of the radiosity parameters a bit of a mystery.

> The radiosity statistics may give you a hint how good your pretrace
> settings are. I recommend making sure that no more than half the total
> number of samples is taken during the main render.

Ahh, OK - what am I looking for in the stats?

Cheers,
Edouard.