POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version : DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:34:05 EDT (-0400)
  DF3 Proximity Pattern - working on a new version
From: Edouard
Date: 8 Sep 2009 20:45:01
Message: <web.4aa6f97493b5c1b8c83e2c410@news.povray.org>
I'm working on a new version (0.95?) of the DF3 proximity pattern macros.

The main thing I'm doing is trying to make everything automatic, so a user
doesn't have to do much more than:

/* Only need to generate the DF3 Pattern the very first time */
#if( generate_df3 = true )
 //Proximity_SetMeshMode( mesh_mode )
 Proximity_GenerateMap( obj, object_name )
#end

/* Load the DF3 Proximity Pattern */
//Proximity_SetPatternSmoothingMode( true )
#declare df3_pattern = Proximity_LoadMap( obj, object_name )

and everything just works. The macros take care of finding a reasonably tight
bounding box, the number of voxels to use in the three dimensions, what
blurring values to use on load, etc.

You should get a good render with the default setting, and then you can tweak
them if you want to - starting from a scene where it should be working pretty
well initially.

I'm saving the "object_name.df3" file and also a "object_name.prox" file that
contains the parameters the macros need for loading.

And here is another test render, this time with both the pigment and normals
being driven by the proximity pattern (and some noise).

Umm, there also seem to be some rendering artefacts that I think are to do with
turning normals on in radiosity under the latest 3.7 beta.

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'df3-prox-with-normals.jpg' (91 KB)

Preview of image 'df3-prox-with-normals.jpg'
df3-prox-with-normals.jpg