POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing around with SSLT : Re: Playing around with SSLT Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing around with SSLT
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 4 Sep 2009 08:40:00
Message: <web.4aa10a8d63e55f164726e92b0@news.povray.org>
> Robert McGregor schrieb:
> > I can't seem to stop toying with it now (I'm sure you can all understand that).
>
> Sure! And I'm pretty envious that you got Lucy in POV format... MeshLab
> crashes on me when I try to load her.

Well, she's pretty big - my PoseRay generated include file is 40.7 MB. I have a
zip file of her that's 11.4 MB if you want it.

> > Am I missing something simple here? Anyone have some tips on retaining my
> > texture colors/details and still getting the cool SSLT scattering?
>
> You're missing something indeed: The "safety notes" that came with the
> change description :-P
>
> SSLT is still very, very alpha stage, and just hasn't had the time to be
> integrated with features such as textures, photons or what-have-yous.
> The time will come, I promise :-)
>
> You can try layered textures though, with a filtering layer over the
> SSLT one. I guess that should work.

Aha, the "safety notes!" And I've tried some averaged textures but that was sooo
slow. Layering sounds like a better option; I suppose I would've thought of that
myself evertually. Thanks Christoph :)

-Rob