POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing around with SSLT : Re: Playing around with SSLT Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing around with SSLT
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 3 Sep 2009 22:00:01
Message: <web.4aa0730d63e55f164726e92b0@news.povray.org>
> Okay, here's an example of what I mean: this is the chest of the figure from my
> "Rebirth" IRTC entry. The left is straight "plastic" old-school radiosity; the
> right is SSLT using the Jensen skin parameters and averaged diffuse component
> (since POV-Ray doesn't currently do rgb diffuse). What happened to his nipples,
> etc?? It becomes a sort of embryonic skin...

Wow, I'm starting to feel like AlphaQuad here, but I can't stop - I'm on a roll.

Okay, so I used a three-pass technique to get something pretty nice just now. I
set up brighter lights on each of the two previous render passes (normal
radiosity and SSLT radiosity) and ran them both through a third pass via my
ambient occlusion compositing macro (to multiply them) and got the third panel,
which is much more like real skin. This is what I would expect from the direct
SSLT if it had some sort of damping filter built in to average the effect. Just
a thought. At least I know I can get decent results this way from now on...

Cheers,
Rob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sslt_skin_compare2.jpg' (324 KB)

Preview of image 'sslt_skin_compare2.jpg'
sslt_skin_compare2.jpg