POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing around with SSLT : Re: Playing around with SSLT Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing around with SSLT
From: Robert McGregor
Date: 3 Sep 2009 21:25:00
Message: <web.4aa06c2d63e55f164726e92b0@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> > This looks terribly good indeed.
>
> Thanks Thomas :)
>
> I can't seem to stop toying with it now (I'm sure you can all understand that).
>
> So, after many more tweaks I've got it looking like I wanted - more subtle. But
> I've noticed that whatever texture I use it seems to sort of fade away,
> "overpowered" by the SSLT. I've tried all kinds of different SSLT parameters
> and diffuse settings(even the ones from the Jenson, et. al. 2001 SIGGRAPH
> paper).
>
> Am I missing something simple here? Anyone have some tips on retaining my
> texture colors/details and still getting the cool SSLT scattering?
>
> -Rob

Okay, here's an example of what I mean: this is the chest of the figure from my
"Rebirth" IRTC entry. The left is straight "plastic" old-school radiosity; the
right is SSLT using the Jensen skin parameters and averaged diffuse component
(since POV-Ray doesn't currently do rgb diffuse). What happened to his nipples,
etc?? It becomes a sort of embryonic skin...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sslt_skin_compare.jpg' (219 KB)

Preview of image 'sslt_skin_compare.jpg'
sslt_skin_compare.jpg