POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A long track to go : Re: A long track to go Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A long track to go
From: s day
Date: 26 Aug 2009 04:10:01
Message: <web.4a94ecfed8f21fa22d3f6ffc0@news.povray.org>
"TC" <do-not-reply@i-do get-enough-spam-already-2498.com> wrote:
> AWESOME good looking animation! Just let the wheels turn in the right
> direction...
>
> The wheels turn clockwise when the motive gear turns anti-clockwise? Is this
> an error in the animation or am I missing something? Even going downhill the
> wheels should turn the same direction as the gears.
>
> BTW: here's a link to an animation (less beautiful - more technical)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Walschaerts_motion.gif

Thanks for the link, the wheels are turning in the right direction, it is just
an illusion that make it look like they are not. The whole wheel object is
rotated so if they were not turning the correct way the part where the lever is
attached would also go the wrong way.

Even though I knew this I had to colour the spokes individually to make sure I
had not made some mistake somewhere as the effect just doesn't look right.

Sean