POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Scale Postfixes : Re: Scale Postfixes Server Time
3 May 2024 21:59:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scale Postfixes
From: Reactor
Date: 4 Aug 2009 13:50:00
Message: <web.4a7873e3fd0f4b012fd4d8ab0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > It isn't immediately clear to me why you couldn't implement units like that on
> > your own.  One of the thinks that makes pov powerful is the fact that you can.
> > Consider something like this:
>
> (1) I would want to eliminate the need for the "*" operator (being lazy), and
> the #declare intro needed (at least for the most common dimensions).
>
> (2) Though of course your approach is perfectly possible, it doesn't come with a
> standard framework; for instance, someone may use "m" while someone else may use
> "meter" (or "metre" :P).
>
> (3) Having a standard framework for distances would also allow to interoperate
> with features inherently dependent on actual physical distance (like the
> experimental Subsurface Light Transport code).

It would be neat to have an "official" set of units, but I still favor them as
regular variables that are defined in terms of each other.  It could simplify
the use of other people's objects, which will become more of an issue as the
object collection grows.  A standard include for SI and commonly used non-SI
units?

-Reactor