POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jul 2009 17:00:00
Message: <web.4a6f669e7ae82ffcdcf616650@news.povray.org>
"Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea, except you might need an absolute cutoff value at some
> point to prevent anti-aliasing that you can't see.  I wonder how much different
> that approach would look from applying gamma correction before the aa decision?

Significantly, because you're simply mixing the stuff the wrong way, giving you
distortions in both brightness and hue, leading to new types of artifacts such
as thin, slightly slanted lines' brightness "pulsing" along their length in the
rythm of the original aliasing effect.

Might be an option though to compare the gamma-corrected values, but then
interpolate the linear ones and gamma-correct the result separately.

As for preventing "anti-aliasing that you can't see", with the introduction of
HDRI output the situation has somewhat changed, because by cranking up the
brightness level in a HDRI viewer you can transpose *any* absolute difference
into the visible range.