POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jul 2009 15:00:00
Message: <web.4a6f49ee7ae82ffcdcf616650@news.povray.org>
hobBIT <bla### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > I also notice that the image is a lot grainier than the POV-Ray shot; it's not
> > hard to tell that Luxrender uses some kind of monte-carlo approach.
>
> As I understand it, rays are shot in a more or less random way. You can
> let it render as long as you wish, longer traces give results with less
> noise. I stopped my rendering at ~1200 samples/pixel, which normally
> should give a really clean image, but some scene elements can drive the
> need for higher values, i.e. reflection/refraction and size of light
> souces (this is what I understand).

Yes, that's exactly the so-called "monte-carlo integration" approach (which is
also used in MCPov).

> Nice to hear ! The idea to add render nodes by simply add them during a
> render is a really user friendly way, the povray team should adapt it :-)

I'm not sure whether *dynamic* addition of render nodes was part of the initial
plans, but I guess the architecture should be quite well-suited for that, too.

> >>    - Areas which have no direct lighting do not show any normal effects
> >> (All walls have bumps, but this can be seen behind the plant only).
> >
> > Did you try "normal on" in the radiosity block? That *should* do it.
>
> Two other users give me that info too, thanks again. I've enabled it,
> without a direct success. Additionally I've increased bump_size by a
> factor of 4 and I see normals now. But it seems, the render time is
> increased by the same factor :-)

That's to be expected, unfortunately. Or, to put it the other way round, not
using "normal on" decreased render times, fortunately ;)

> I read the last beta's (31-33) contain subsurface scattering, does this
> give results similar to this ? I will try this if I have some more time :-)

Yes and no - SSS (or SSLT = Subsurface Light Transport, as it is also called) is
a different beast, designed to give even superior results at even slower render
times ;) It's also primarily intended to model effects seen in solid objects
made from quite tranclucent materials, like a wax candle, instead of thin
sheets of rather opaque materials like fabric (it will actually need a solid
object to work on).

SSLT is also still very, very early experimental stage, and much more complex,
so it'll take a while until it is fully integrated and compatible with all the
other POV-Ray features.