POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jul 2009 14:30:00
Message: <web.4a6f42fa7ae82ffcdcf616650@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> As for the lighting on the curtains--you could try the double_illuminate
> keyword.  I think that will also interact with radiosity properly.

I actually don't think it will give proper results.

double_illuminate will indeed cause *direct* illumination to "seep through" to
the other side, thus replicate the bright streaks on the curtain as seen in the
Luxrender shot, and these will also affect the lighting in the room through
radiosity.

However, *indirect* illumination will *not* "seep through", so we would miss
that beautiful gradient we see on the curtain in the Luxrender shot, which is
presumably caused by diffuse sylight blocked in the lower portions by the
balcony.

Aside from that, it's also a rather inflexible solution, running into trouble as
soon as the material is intended to be only slightly translucent (like, for
instance, the leaf of a tree; I once did that by embedding a double-illuminated
layer between two classic filtering ones, but it's cumbersome regarding
geometry, and responds non-linearly to "tuning").