POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: clipka
Date: 27 Jul 2009 18:30:01
Message: <web.4a6e29bb7ae82ffc842b7b550@news.povray.org>
hobBIT <bla### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Luxrender:
> + Very realistic results.
> + Nice blender integration (other commercial suites too).
> + Imho good developer activity.
> + Adjust lighting during rendering !!!!
> + Easy scaling using active network interface, can add render nodes on
> the fly (which is really needed, see below :-)).
> - Damn long render times.

I also notice that the image is a lot grainier than the POV-Ray shot; it's not
hard to tell that Luxrender uses some kind of monte-carlo approach.

Distributed rendering is a goal POV-Ray is aiming for, too; SMP is just a step
in that direction, and the architectural changes made for SMP were already
geared towards that goal of distributed rendering.

> POVRay:
> + Endless possibilities due to the SDL and windows frontend. I like to
> have full control using text files (I'm a software developer).
> + Nice control to scale render time (Comment out parts, use flags to
> scale quality, ...).
> + Easy way to enhance scene by scripting.
> + Working on ultra complex scenes even on ultra slow machines, text rules :)
> - Development seems a bit slow (no critic!, just a bit frustating).
> - Some issues I can't handle (Can be seen in the POV-render (the second
> one below)), maybe some POVray pro can tell me how to circumvent them:
>    - Areas with bad anti-alias, sometimes, even with really high AA
> settings (see edges in the top right area).

That is strange indeed; do you think you can trim down the scene to something
minimalistic so this effect can be investigated closely?.

>    - Areas which have no direct lighting do not show any normal effects
> (All walls have bumps, but this can be seen behind the plant only).

Did you try "normal on" in the radiosity block? That *should* do it.

What I also see is radiosity artifacts in the corners (blotchy look; it should
be possible to eliminate them with higher-quality radiosity settings).

What bothers me most, however, is the curtains, and it actually shows (or
rather, doesn't show) a feature I'm missing in POV-Ray: Diffuse translucency.
Shouldn't be *too* hard to integrate.

Furthermore, I see significant differences in brightness / contrast, but these
may be due to (a) the curtain thing, and (b) possibly gamma issues.