POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVRay / Luxrender : Re: POVRay / Luxrender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay / Luxrender
From: Reactor
Date: 27 Jul 2009 15:35:00
Message: <web.4a6e00e67ae82ffcdef9a2950@news.povray.org>
hobBIT <bla### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> below a scene I started some days ago inspired by the portal doc of
> luxrender (luxrender.net), a really nice GPL render engine. While
> waiting for the result calculated by luxrender, I planned to port it to
> POVRay and compare the result, see yourself.

..
..
..
> POVRay:
>    - Areas with bad anti-alias, sometimes, even with really high AA
> settings (see edges in the top right area).

What were the anti-aliasing settings?  Also, are you aware of an odd (but
documented) interaction between anti-aliasing and gamma correction?
Specifically, gamma correction is applied after anti-aliasing, which means that
your settings may have told it not to use aa further (based on the threshold
value), but gamma correction placed it out of the threshold.

>    - Areas which have no direct lighting do not show any normal effects
> (All walls have bumps, but this can be seen behind the plant only).

By default, normals are ignored in radiosity.  To take them into account, place
"normal on" in your radiosity block.

> Please leave some comments :-)
>
> hobBIT

It seems to me that luxrender was described a while back as allowing you to
define the emission pattern of a light source.  I saw the IES example image on
the wiki, but I am having trouble tracking down how a user might make their own
IES files.  I would definitely be interested, though.  I am curious as to how it
compares to mcpov

-Reactor