POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planet texture WIP #3 - Coast : Re: Planet texture WIP #3 - Coast Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planet texture WIP #3 - Coast
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 26 Jul 2009 17:30:00
Message: <web.4a6cc9b2515abde578641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> > The vegetation will be more abundent east of the areas of high see
> > temperatures.
>
> Depends on the direction of rotation :P

Also on prevailing wind direction, I would think.  Much oversimplified wind
directions on my west-to-east rotating planet, for example:

+90  Calm (polar high)
     Northeast
+60  Calm (polar front)
     Southwest
+30  Calm (subtropical high, "horse latitudes")
     Northeast ("trade winds")
  0  Calm (intertropical convergence zone, "doldrums")
     Southeast
-30  Calm (subtropical high)
     Northwest
-60  Calm (polar front)
     Southeast
-90  Calm (polar high)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_circulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Earthmap720x360_grid.jpg

Contrary to popular belief, flush toilets do *not* follow this plan:

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html