POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the Johnson solids : Re: the Johnson solids Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the Johnson solids
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 Jul 2009 15:35:00
Message: <web.4a5cddb776bf31cff6ec10440@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > The isosurface isn't obvious (although probably more needed than in the other
> > image), but I would expect you to spot the media in the subsurface scattering
> > on those gems... :-D
>
> Now that you mention it...
>
> .... honestly I still don't :}

What! </mock outrage> :)

> Maybe it's one of those subtle things you only notice when it's missing, like in
> "I can't really tell why, but the material doesn't look convincing to me"; and
> maybe the 2000x2000 shot reveals it more clearly.

This is all true - it *is* intended to be subtle (as a rock sss effect would
be), and it *is* clearer in the larger version. It is definitely visible in
this version though: look at the edges of shadowed areas in the lower (closer)
half of the image. The sharp red one (no 12 from the centre) shows it most
dramatically, as well as the vivid green ones directly <-1,-1> from the centre.

> Anyway, I take that as a hint to get back into gear for further integration of
> the experimental SSLT code :P

Yes, why not? ;-)