POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the Johnson solids : Re: the Johnson solids Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the Johnson solids
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jul 2009 11:45:00
Message: <web.4a5ca75076bf31cf5fee4dc70@news.povray.org>
> Yes, it's entirely possible. However, refining the render time would probably
> take me several evenings' tinkering with the source, whereas if I just did
> something else during that time it's half finished anyway. :) The isosurface
> floor could probably use a smaller max_gradient, I could certainly get away
> with a lower-res area_light, radiosity quality may well be too high, and I seem
> to recall that the default media sampling (which this uses) is unwise. Including
> the media seemed to produce the biggest slow-down... and, of course, merely
> activating the aa on a scene like this is a huge drag.

Um... yeah, if aside from area lights and radiosity you also did use isosurfaces
and media, then I'll keep my cake-hole shut :X

BTW, I don't agree with the other posters that the shot would look much better
with transparent material; you win the caustics, but I guess you lose a lot on
the shadow effect that this image shows off very impressively.