POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pov-Ray Windows plotting code : Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code Server Time
16 May 2024 21:43:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jul 2009 00:45:04
Message: <web.4a5574a9be3ef457a70716b0@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
> > David H. Burns wrote:
> >> If one wants to do any programming for Windows, one must learn the
> >> Windows API.
> >
> > This is untrue. There are many portable systems layered on top of
> > Windows that keep you from having to learn anything about the Windows
> > API as such. Heck, even .NET insulates you 99% from having to know
> > anything about Windows as such.
>

> Yes, I'm using far too many generalities. Certainly Microsoft products keep
> one from having to deal directly with "Windows as such" and I have seen
> pretty slick plots done using Python and the appropriate tools. What does
>   the Pov-Ray code do in this regard and in what sections of code was
> kind of my original question which no one seems to have addressed. But,
>   at this point, I don't think it would help me much to know.
>
> David

If you want to find out how POV-Ray for Windows does the thing, the point to
start your excursion is probably the .../windows/pvdisplay.cpp file. I never
bothered to dive into the code for POV-Ray's Windows UI, but I just spotted
some Windows API calls there (CreateWindowEx() for instance).

It seems that POV-Ray does things the hard way, using the Windows API directly -
at least as far as the render window is concerned.