POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pov-Ray Windows plotting code : Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code Server Time
17 May 2024 00:59:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray Windows plotting code
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jul 2009 00:05:00
Message: <web.4a556b42be3ef457a70716b0@news.povray.org>
"David H. Burns" <dhb### [at] cherokeetelnet> wrote:
> But, alas,
> much available code was written before XP and apparently the API functions
> have changed. But then I read that Microsoft Visual Whatever version 8.0 is
> incompatible with Version 7.0 .... One seems trapped.

What's the problem there?

(1) The API functions haven't changed. Some may have been added, that's all.
Otherwise we'd see tons of Windows 95 software not working anymore.

(2) Both Visual Whatever 7.0 and 8.0 are XP-era products.

(3) Visual Whatever 8.0 does load (and convert) old 7.0 projects.

(4) As far as POV-Ray is concerned, it comes with both Visual Studio 7.0 and 8.0
project files :)

There is some truth to it insofar as Microsoft seems to be shifting away from
MFC and even the newer ATL towards the .NET framework. But MS Visual Studio
..NET 2005 (aka VS 8.0) will happily not only compile old VC++ 6.0 MFC code, but
also let you set up new MFC-based projects.