POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available : Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available Server Time
15 Jun 2024 12:44:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
From: JeffBTX
Date: 8 Jul 2009 06:15:01
Message: <web.4a5470ce3e2c1745bbaa2810@news.povray.org>
> Folks,
>
> I've generated a v3.62 RC1 POVWIN and new installer. I'd appreciate it if
> some of you could test it as the installer in particular is a re-write.
>
>   http://www.povray.org/temp/POVWin-v3.62-RC1.msi
>
> Note: on Vista systems, the files will be installed by default to your
> local profile. On XP and earlier, the default remains Program Files.
>
> -- Chris

I uninstalled 3.6.1c a few days ago, and just now installed 3.6.2 (64 bit; Vista
Home Premium 64) about 30 minutes ago.

Before running the installer under Vista I set to -> "unblock". At some point
after running it a couple of times from the desktop shortcut (but I haven't
rendered anything yet), I have set the desktop shortcut to "Run as
Administrator"; no particular reason, I just did that with 3.6.1 back in 2007
when I got my new Vista computer, and I thought it might help with the "HELP"
problem mentioned in para (2) below (it didn't fix the problem).

DURING installation, I forced the install folder to "C:\POV-Ray\", due to some
old Vista oddities that became apparant when I installed 3.6.1 back in 2007.

(1)(a) Splitting off the INI files, scene files, etc into - > Documents is VERY
confusing. Why not just intall these into the POV-Ray installation folder? (In
my case under C:\POV-Ray\).

I have two (500 Gb) hard drives in a RAID 1 config, "Documents" is on D:\ (thats
just the way my computer builder set it up back in 2007). So now POVRay is on
C:, the INI files and so forth are shoved into D:\Documents. I ** think ** I
have figured out how to "transplant" all of the stuff from D:\Documents into
C:\POV-Ray (where they belong, in my opinion...), and alter things so that the
"transplants" are recognized - I don't want to fool with it until after I get
some replies to this... hopefully with a precise procedure to follow.

(1)(b) I thought I would try setting a "compatibility mode" for the desktop
shortcut (I did that with 3.6.1, it *might have* solved a couple of problems
under Vista back in 2007, but this is unverified) but the compatibility mode
settings for the shortcut are greyed out / un-set-able with 3.6.2 for some
reason.

(1)(c) When I FIRST ran the desktop shortcut, it (Vista) did not know where to
find the executable. I had to "Browse" to it manually the first time.

(2) While IN POV-Ray, clicking "Help" has no effect. Neither does any "Help with
This Menu". I have to manually navigate into C:\POV-Ray\help\, and click on the
povray36.chm file. I invoked REGEDIT.EXE and searched for povray36.chm, and
NONE of the ini files seem to point to the help files. How do I fix this?

I CAN work with 3.6.2 the way it is, but I would rather "fix it" (if possible).
If there is something different that I could do during installation, I am
prepared to UNinstall 3.6.2 and re-install it.

.... and one reason that I am reporting these oddities is to (hopefully) prevent
them from appearing whenever 3.7 is officially released (in my history w/
POVRay, I am reluctant to even try betas, I tend to wait for the official
releases).

- Thanks