POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC dandelion : Re: IRTC dandelion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC dandelion
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 8 Jul 2009 01:10:04
Message: <web.4a5428f33f1e14c4ed14c4120@news.povray.org>
> As you can see, there are dimples in the surface. My idea would be to
> make a surface with blobs. But how to place the blobs? The dimples
> should be evenly distributed over the surface (like a golfball). The
> only thing that comes to mind is to place the dimples randomly, and then
> iterativly let them "find" the place where they are the least close to
> their neighbours. Needles to say, this is complicated and a project on
> its own.
>
> So, any pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> JWV

Here's another way to look at the problem: Instead of a solid surface with
dimples, imagine the surface as a lattice of sphere sweeps. It looks to me like
the surface in the photo actually consists of woven fibers, which the dimples
you're considering would not replicate. The diameter of a sphere sweep is
variable, which would allow you to replicate the slightly blobby appearance of
the fibers.

That looks like a fun project, and you're off to a great start!

Regards,
Dave Blandston