POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC dandelion : Re: IRTC dandelion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC dandelion
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 7 Jul 2009 22:10:01
Message: <web.4a53ff0c3f1e14c4ed14c4120@news.povray.org>
JWV <Willempie_39___@___hotmail.com> wrote:

> As you can see, there are dimples in the surface. My idea would be to
> make a surface with blobs. But how to place the blobs? The dimples
> should be evenly distributed over the surface (like a golfball). The
> only thing that comes to mind is to place the dimples randomly, and then
> iterativly let them "find" the place where they are the least close to
> their neighbours. Needles to say, this is complicated and a project on
> its own.
>
> So, any pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> JWV

Here's another way to think about this problem: Imagine the surface as a lattice
of sphere sweeps instead of a solid surface with dimples. That's what it looks
like to me, especially the lower left area of the photo where the surface
appears to be woven out of fibers. The dimple method would not re-create this
effect.

That looks like a fun project, and you're off to a great start!

Regards,
Dave Blandston