POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ivy Generator : Re: Ivy Generator Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ivy Generator
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 4 Jul 2009 10:15:01
Message: <web.4a4f631ee71b54f1231d6f4b0@news.povray.org>
Plants will grow towards a light source, it's called phototropism (which I
learned about a long time ago and never thought to find a use for).  you'll find
that in a dark room with light coming through a hole in the ceiling, vines will
grow along the floor toward the light, and will generally try to find the hole
in the ceiling. Perhaps your model could account for the direction of the light
source as well.  It would be a matter of weighting the probability of a split in
a given direction by the amount of light in that direction or the probability of
reaching light by growing in that direction.

Otherwise, I think it's excellent work, and I wonder if it could be applied to
other plant life, like trees and shrubs.

Are you predetermining the starting location, or is it random?

A.D.B.